Whether at work in office or lounging at home, air quality is something vital to the relaxation and focus your mind can achieve. But can the air quality of your home be cleaner? Can you tackle those miniscule pollutants exacerbating allergies and silently pervading the lungs? Sharing a living with other people, not to mention the natural environment, will always mean air pollutants can drift through. Smoke removal can be achieved, while allergen ridden pollen, mold, etc. are all enemies to your zen state. So, finding the best HEPA air purifier is of utmost importance!
So, you might ask, where can you find a comprehensive list of the best air purifiers around? Ones that deal with dust, excel at smoke removal, provide the whole room with contaminant-free air? Look no further. Our team here at thesoothingair.com has rigorously put the very best air purifiers through their paces to give consummate reviews and determine the one that will meet all your needs, returning peace of mind and clear air to your living space!
- Why Should You Trust Us?
- How HEPA Filters Can Help and Why You Should Buy One
- Mistakes to Avoid When Choosing the Best HEPA Air Purifier for You
- Key Factors and Features to Look For
- How We Picked and Tested
- Our Top Ten Product List
- Our pick: GermGuardian AC4825 3-in-1 Air Cleaning System with True HEPA Filter
- Budget Pick- Holmes Group HAP242B-U HEPA Type Desktop Air Purifier
- Best for the beginners: PureZone 3-in-1 True HEPA Air Purifier – 3 Speeds Plus UV-C Air Sanitizer
- Advanced Pick: Rowenta PU6010 Intense Pure Air 800-Square Feet Air Purifier
- List of 6 Other HEPA Air Purifiers We Reviewed
- List of Other Products We Tested
Why Should You Trust Us?
Having managed and operated this site for four years, our knowledge of electronic air purifiers is simply excellent. To guide customers through the process of determining the right air purifier for their living space. Below we reveal the 10 best HEPA air purifiers, having deliberated through dozens of hours of thorough research and weeks of personal testing.
We’ve compiled reviews based both on personal experience and more widespread usage, allowing us to give an objective, honest evaluation of the strengths and limitations of each product.
We’re dedicated to helping you find the best HEPA air purifier, so consideration has been taken to the needs of different areas, quality assessment, price, and reliability. We’ve analyzed air quality both before and after purifier and cleaner installation, at the particulate, molecular level, to assess the presence of pollutants. This can be an often painstaking procedure taking days to fully evaluate the influence of the air purifier, but such patience certainly pays off in our extensive knowledge of these products. We are extremely confident this guide will be an invaluable resource for you.
What Is a HEPA Filter?
HEPA filters have revolutionized air quality and approaches to tackling allergies. HEPA (high efficiency particulate air) sifts through various pollutants in the air at the particulate level. These include everything, from pollen to mold to dust, as well as smoke removal and pet dander. Through ultra-fine mesh, pollutants are extracted from the air, filtering out the natural, healthy air which will not irritate the lungs and making air cleaner and safer. This is particularly important when considering families and friends with asthma or allergies- HEPA filters eliminate discomfort and bring peace of mind.
Of course, installing such air purifiers is a lifestyle choice- you are choosing to eliminate those pollutants which affect your respiratory system by installing an electronic device in the home. However, as such a constant presence in your living/work space, things like size, amount of noise, and aesthetic appearance are important factors. HEPA air filters/purifiers are designed to be as inconspicuous as possible- quiet, peaceful machines that do their job so you can get on with your life.
How HEPA Filters Can Help and Why You Should Buy One
So why buy a HEPA air filter? Does it really work? What benefits should I expect? What to consider before buying an air purifier? Can my allergies be defeated with it? In fact, these are all important questions and it’s vital for you to know what you will be getting for your money.
The home is your living space and your nest that provides your personal tranquillity. Yet particles which compromise the quality of the air also compromise the quality of relaxation. Moreover, while allergens are typically associated with the outside world, they can easily drift into your home and cause the same discomfort and ailments you might expect outside.The respiratory system is the main area likely to be affected, and problems stemming from this can go as far as cancer and even death. However, HEPA filter air purifiers remove these tiny particles that cause major discomfort and allergies.
A HEPA air purifier is also a lifestyle choice. Once you experience the cleanliness of the air around you, the thought of going back to compromised air quality can seem incomprehensible. Allergens may lurk in the tiniest of crevasses on rugs and couches, bed spreads and worktops. And the trigger point of allergic reactions can come from a range of sources, many of which you may be unaware of. Subtle mold, dust, gas, pollen, etc. are more prominent in any home than many would believe, and smoke removal is surely a necessity. Certainly when considering appliances like cooking fixtures, cars, fireplaces, etc. there are various sites where pollutants may find a home and enter the living space.
But the best HEPA air purifier can rejuvenate any room. When used as part of a commitment to whole cleaning throughout the living space, any health risks or allergies, no matter how major or minor, can be eliminated. Basic cleaning techniques, such as laundry, cleaning surfaces and vacuuming ensure the work of the HEPA system is not in vain.
Mistakes to Avoid When Choosing the Best HEPA Air Purifier for You
With our comprehensive understanding of HEPA air purifiers and our analysis of reviews, we are confident in recommending the best of the HEPA products available. The layman is unlikely to be able to distinguish between effective facets of different purifiers, and we are here to rectify the situation.
The phrase ‘99% effective’ is often lauded around. But is this a figure worth your hard-earned money? Is this a feature marking the best HEPA air purifier?
The generally accepted figure for a top quality HEPA air filter is 99.97%. And while 99% sounds great, it’s likely to miss crucial particulate contents which should be taken very seriously. Therefore, 99% for us is just not good enough, and you should know the same.
The internal mechanisms of the product are also important to think about- the whole system is important. Automatic modular features, air quality sensors, and other facets of the purifier must be considered in relation to your lifestyle and the environment you intend to place the purifier in. For instance, automatic modes are critical if you think you’re unlikely to change the modes yourself. Having to do it manually is often a time-consuming and easy-to-forget task that limits time for other important things. Automatic air purifiers adapt to larger presences of contaminants in the air. This is not only more efficient, but safer, and a comforting advantage over manual systems.
Key Factors and Features to Look For
HEPA filters come in different classes, and it’s important to understand which class will give you the desired effect you seek. The E class has the lowest retention level, at between 85 and 99.5%. From there, differences are minor- H class and U class filters give gradually higher retention levels up to around 99.99995%, as well as specified local retention ranging from 99.7-99.999%. Be sure to be attentive to class and retention level when considering a HEPA air filtration system.
Airflow Design Characteristics
Airflow design is important when considering the overall operation of the system. Higher or lower airflow can influence energy consumption and noise level. In addition to this, the environment may influence airflow resistance, so it is always important to gain a reading on the airflow characteristics of different HEPA air filters and find the one that best accommodates your environment.
Aside from removing pollutants, such as molds, dusts and pollen, noise is another pollution we wish to avoid in the whole home. Noise levels of HEPA air purifiers depend on the speed and level at which the system is running. After thorough analysis, any purifiers with a highest noise level above 55 decibels (normal conversation volume) are not considered. With that being said, purifiers would only be run on high when a wealth of pollutants pervade the space, such as nearby smoke.
Filter Replacement Indicator
Each filter has a time-frame with which it’s designed to be replaced. This can range from a year to 5 years and beyond. When buying, the annual operating cost must be weighed against the consistency of filter replacement required to evaluate the best option moving forward.
How We Picked and Tested
Our guide to the very best HEPA air purifier has been exhaustively put together, encompassing four years in which new models have been assessed an accounted for. We are always looking for the next great air purifier, and this list will be of enormous help for you in choosing the best HEPA air purifier for your space. These past four years have allowed us to personally test over 40 air purifiers in our search for perfection. We’ve learned a lot along the way!
In our latest guide, we looked at community as well as personal usage over a whole two-month period. Looking to cover every permutation of use, we assessed the quality of the product with the operation guide on and off. Additionally, we tested across a variety of environments to try to adequately cover all scenarios. What remains is a comprehensive analysis covering noise level, airflow, filter replacement indicators, filter class, particulate retention and many other factors. So you can rely on our judgments if you’re in need of an air purifier.
Our Top Ten Product List
So, here it is. Having rigorously tested what we perceive to be the 35 most important features of the best HEPA air purifier, we present to you the top 10 products. Like and share us on social media to gain access to the full in-depth report of each purifiers qualities.
Our number one choice for HEPA air purifiers has been thoroughly considered, tested, and lauded. Here’s why it gets our stamp of approval:
Why is it our top pick?
Each product has been analyzed based on 35 features we consider to be important in choosing an air purifier. This is not just the best HEPA air purifier for dust, or air purifier smoke removal system, or electronic air cleaner. This is the best of the best, encompassing a whole host of different factors, from reviews to personal experience. Here are 7 reasons why we love this product:
- With UV-C light technology, collaborating with Titanium Dioxide, it strikes the perfect balance to kill viruses, mold, germs, airborne bacteria, etc.
- It’s 22 inch three speed electronic tower provides the optimum size in relation to it’s excellent capabilities in cleaning the whole room.
- It’s 100+ CADR rating makes it perfect for the common medium sized room.
- From a more technical standpoint, it’s ENERGY STAR accolade speaks to it’s energy efficiency, a hugely desirable characteristic.
- Another thing to think about is of course price, and the GermGuardian AC4825 3-in-1 Air Cleaning System with True HEPA Filter can be bought for less than $100, a very competitive price in today’s market.
- Rating frequency was also excellent in this product. Looking at 30 of the most recent ratings, it’s clear to see the delight people find in this product, such is the speed of posted reviews. These 30 reviews accumulated over the first 2 days of release.
- Finally, for us to be sure of recommending a product, we must be certain of it’s safety. Intertek (a nationally recognized testing laboratory) has certified the products safety, the only one on our list that has this asset.
GermGuardian AC4825 3-in-1 Air Cleaning System Review
We have picked the GermGuardian as our Number 1 because it kills all the allergens pervading your home- from bacteria to viruses and mold. In terms of ratio of size to area covered, it performs superbly well in terms of not being seen, but being felt. Energy efficient with an ENERGY STAR accolade, it’s price of about $100 is hugely competitive in today’s market. Reviews rushed in- 30 within 2 days, and it’s Intertek safety rating attests to it’s quality and safety, giving additional peace of mind.
It meets our lofty standards in terms of safety and reliability, which are things you don’t want to think about- and don’t have to- when buying this product. This is a green machine, meaning it’s energy efficiency is through the roof. This is hugely important for us in terms of being able to say long term that this is a great product to have.
Overall, we have personally put this product to the test and found it to perform extremely well in terms of efficiency, safety, effectiveness, and cost. There is no better product in terms of value for money than the GermGuardian.
- ENERGY STAR- energy efficiency
- Affordable (<$100)
- 100+ CADR rating
- Intertek certified safe
- Frequently required filter changes
- Shorter lifespan (1 year)
Why is this pick our budget pick?
1. With the 2nd lowest price amongst our listed products, this cleaner offers value for money. With three speed settings accommodating a variety of external conditions, an optional ionizer for particle removal, and a CADR rating of 70, this really cannot be beaten within the price range. Ratings reached around 30 within the first 35 days of release.
2. The design of the Holmes Group HAP242B-U HEPA Type Desktop Air Purifier is one of it’s most noticeable advantages. With a slim dual positioning design, it allows for an inconspicuous presence within the home, fitting a variety of living spaces across different dimensions.
3. It’s important to always monitor the quality of filters. However, the versatility of compatible filters make this product a winner as well. All Holmes Aer1 filters will prove effective for this purifier, as well as the Holmes HAPF30D filters. Try also the Holmes arm and Hammer Carbon filter Aor31, in addition to the Holmes HAPF300D-U2 filters. With such a vast array of compatible filters, maintenance of the product is relatively simple and effective.
Holmes Group HAP242B-U Review
This is our budget pick because of it’s exceptional value for money on offer. At a hugely competitive price (approx.. $50), it is affordable and meets all the requirements we deem necessary for effective air purifiers. Speed settings allow you to adjust the device to the environment and lifestyle (i.e. allergies). Unlike many other options on the cheaper side, it’s slim dual positioning makes it innocuous in even smaller rooms. With a variety of amenable filters it is easily maintained, and ratings rolled in- 30 within 35 days of release.
What makes a budget pick for us is not having to distinguish it between other, more expensive picks (apart from, of course, price!). This is certainly true for the Homes Group air purifier in question. It performs adequately as an air purifier and takes on one of the key roles- stealth- that we appreciate in terms of the lifestyle of an air purifier owner. Despite it’s low cost, it is an innocuous addition to the home that gives similar benefits to more expensive models.
- Affordable (around $50)
- Accommodates variety of conditions
- Slim, lightweight dimensions
- One of the least noise efficient
- Not as comprehensive in removing particles (up to 99% removed)
Why is this pick best for the beginners?
1. This product is perfect for first time users who desire a simple, efficient machine. Combining pre-filter, excellent carbon filter features as well as the standard HEPA filter capabilities into one, this certainly is a comprehensive option, while the optional automatic timer is great to limit use to two, four, or eight hours. UV-C light also helps further eliminate things like viruses, bacteria, and germs
2. At a hugely competitive price, (approximately $100), this is also a great option to dip one’s feet in before fully committing to the air purifying process. Having received 30 ratings within 10 days of release, this is clearly a popular option and it’s positive reviews provide plenty of encouragement that this is a reliable option for beginners. This is perfect for those looking for a product they can immediately remove from the box and see a positive change in the work or home space.
3. At a particulate retention level of 99.97%, this product is certainly in the upper echelons in terms of quality. As mentioned earlier, the popularly mentioned figure of ‘99%’ isn’t what we’d regard as true quality, so 99.97% is extremely encouraging.
4. Another hugely positive factor is it’s low noise level. Taken in relation to normal conversation level (which is around 55 decibels), this product offers a noise level of just 30 decibels, giving it a desirably inconspicuous demeanour.
Additionally, the 5-year warranty on the product gives huge peace of mind, particularly for the novice who may still be unsure about the benefits of a HEPA air purifier.
PureZone 3-in-1 True HEPA Air Purifier Review
Beginners will most often seek a system that both completes all the required tasks (namely purifying air) and also requires little maintenance. With a 3-in-1 filtration system, it remains very comprehensive with minimal understanding required for the user. A filter reset indicator makes maintenance a breeze, and automatic timing systems can be utilized to make sure the air purifier fits in perfectly with a person’s lifestyle. It is not hugely expensive (approx. $100) and received a positive response upon release (30 reviews within just 10 days). It keeps noise levels to a minimum at just 30 decibels and has a 5 year warranty offering peace of mind and confidence in the product.
- 3 in 1 filtration system
- Filter reset indicator to confirm when filter needs changing
- Optional automatic timer to limit usage
- UV-C light
- Relatively small size may not cover larger rooms
Why is this one our advanced pick?
1. Our extensive research report offers this gem as our advanced pick of the bunch. Covering larger areas (around 835 sq. ft), the carbon filter is excellent at odor reduction and tackling difficult obstacles such as paint fumes. Additionally, the built in 8H timer is easy to operate, the lighting is aesthetically pleasing and the change filter indicator is a welcome feature allowing for excellent maintenance.
2. It’s ENERGY STAR and AHAM ratings suggest it’s award winning quality as observed by industry experts. For this quality comes an inevitably increased price, (400-500$ or more), you do get what you pay for.
3. 30 ratings within the first 10 days allows for an excellent overview of popularity and quality, while the real piece de resistance comes in the form of the Nano Capture Technology.
4. This is tuned to even tackle formaldehyde emitting cleaning fumes, such as those from paint, building materials and pressed wood.It’s fight against formaldehyde really does put it on another level in terms of air purifiers- not content with merely collecting dust, it scours the air to destroy even the most elusive, dangerous pollutants. WHO (world health organization) recognizes formaldehyde as the most dangerous home pollutant, so beating this danger puts this product firmly in the realm of true quality.
Rowenta PU6010 Intense Review
As experienced air purifier aficionados, we understand the subtle differences between a good air purifier and a great air purifier. Often, you simply have to look at the area covered to assess the effectiveness of an air purifier. Larger spaces covered are more desirable, while retaining a cost effective and innocuous presence are additional factors which hold great importance.
The nano capture technology is another plus to the wonderful Rowenta system. Not only does this offer peace of mind in vanquishing traditional allergens and pollutants, but it actually digs deeper and offers additional protection for those of you who are particularly sensitive to allergies and pollutants of all kinds. It’s efficiency in tackling Formaldehyde makes it the pick for the modern home, with formaldehyde an increasing danger throughout homes across the world.
The convenience of the Rowenta cannot be underestimated, with it’s built in timer technology allowing for peace of mind in terms of energy efficiency and maximizing usage. With a change filter indicator, this machine practically takes care of itself, removing so much of the hassle that may come with an air purifier and allowing it’s brightest characteristic to shine through- being innocuous.
- Large rooms covered
- Eliminates formaldehyde through Nano Capture Technology
- Built in timer
- Change filter indicator
- Larger size may not be ideal for smaller spaces
List of 6 Other HEPA Air Purifiers We Reviewed
Often one of the cagiest points regarding air purifiers, this product comes at a welcoming $40-50. Depending on the urgency of air purifying, this can be an ideal option as a low cost, rewarding experience for smoke removal and other major pollutants and allergens, such as mold and pollen.
One of the best things about this product is it’s odor reduction. Designed specifically with pet owners in mind, the focus on pet odor reduction is a big plus, especially given the tendency of loyal pet owners to become ‘nose blind’ to odors that others may find irritable. This is achieved by the 2 carbon zeolite filters, which do require replacement.
This product covers 140 square foot rooms. While not a huge area, the focus on pet odors means it is generally designed for targeting more localized regions of air quality, and should be treated as such.
As opposed to the prevailing tendency of these products to require constant filter replacement, this product offers a satisfying vacuum-clean filter, allowing for self-maintenance at a low-cost.
With it’s emphasis on pet owners, it is relatively efficient at reducing the presence of pet hair and dander, some of the biggest allergens in such an environment.
- Odor reduction pet specific qualities offer unique advantages to a fairly niche market
- Vacuum clean filter reduces maintenance costs
- Low price
- 99% particulate retention relatively compared to others on the market
- Doesn’t cover larger rooms
Coming in at a relatively high-end $200-300, this isn’t a product that is necessarily easy on the wallet, though those looking for value for money and exceptional quality will never go wrong with this product.
This product offers odor removal through it’s activated carbon prefilter.
Ease of use
This product offers a satisfactory 3 cleaning levels, including a turbo-cleaning option. The three timer levels offering 2, 4, or 8 hour usage give a great option for energy-saving, efficient use of the machine.
Perfect for medium to larger sized rooms, the 465 square foot coverage offers an expansive filtration and purifying effect to fight germs and allergens throughout the space.
One of the most comforting aspects of the filtration system of this product is the electronic filter replacement reminders, offering peace of mind that the filter is working and if not, it will be clearly visible that a replacement is required.
At an exceptional 99.97% particulate retention, this is a machine of quality that meets very high standards of allergen removal. This really is high-end in terms of particulate performance, and so those who suffer from bad allergies would seek a machine of this quality. However, you can also use a dehumidifier along with it to reduce allergy issues at home.
- Relatively large coverage area
- Electronic filter replacement reminder
- Exceptional particulate retention
- Less affordable than many options
At a relatively middle of the road $100-200, this product hits about the average range you could be looking for in air purifiers. It’s quality justifies it’s pricing.
Another offering a carbon activated pre-filter, this is immensely helpful in reducing odor, one of the most desirable results from an air purifier
At 390 square feet, this is an effective air purifier for medium rooms especially, pushing on into larger rooms. Extremely large rooms would not likely be affected positively by this product.
Another offering the electronic filter indicator (courtesy of the Intelli-Check system), this is a great advantage to those who do not have time for day to day maintenance and do not wish to spend their time working our when filter changes are required. Automatic updates are a great addition.
This is another option that offers the recommended particulate retention of up and around 99.97%, a big jump from the ‘99%’ often stated lower end models.
- Competitive price
- Carbon activated pre filter reduces odors
- Electronic filter indicator
- Strictly compatible with Honeywell filters when the time for a change comes
At just above the $100 mark, this is a competitively priced product, which is an important consideration when thinking of both the importance and prevalence of the product in your day-to-day life: spend accordingly.
This product works with a carbon filter to reduce odors. Common household odors from things, like cooking and pets are eliminated with ease.
Coverage of course depends on the space for intended use. Generally, this will cope with small and medium rooms, larger rooms may cause problems.
This product requires filter replacement once every 6 months. This is not very often relatively speaking and therefore is good value when thinking about the long term cost versus initial outlay. Be sure to research the details for compatible filters.
A consummate HEPA particulate retention of 99.97% is desired and achieved by this product, offering peace of mind in that respect that this is the highest quality filtration system destroying the vast majority of allergens and pollutants in the atmosphere.
- Odor reduction and excellent particulate performance
- Only single filter requires changing every 6 months
- Covers relatively small area
- Specific requirements for compatible filters
Coming in at around $100-200, this again hits the middle of the road when considering similar products on the market. With very respectable performance, it is certainly worth the money.
Charcoal filters reduce the effects of odors in the space, as well as the HEPA filter, like others on this list, targeting up to 0.3 micron sized particles. This encompasses pet dander, mold, smoke removal, and other major odor causing substances.
This again works at about average coverage, so smaller and more medium spaces are likely to hold up. Avoid larger rooms where the effects may be minimized.
Filters are effective, and the included UV-C light and Titanium dioxide elements help eliminate allergens and pollutants. This includes viruses and germs that are potentially harmful.
Like other HEPA filters on this list, the 99.97% particulate retention offers exceptional performance which we highly recommend for experiencing safe, comfortable air across the whole room.
- Relatively cheap
- Charcoal filter removes odor
- UV-C light offers extensive filtration
- Relatively small coverage (not suitable for larger areas
- Requires specific filters to change
Looking at around $200 for this product, it is not the most expensive on the market but does play to the higher end of the market nonetheless.
The carbon prefilter arrangement is generally the desired route in this respect, and this is present in this product. Even those odors which one becomes ‘nose blind’ to can be eliminated.
The coverage area is extremely effective for medium to large rooms. This makes it a good option for most air purifying situations, and it can certainly reduce the presence of allergens and pollutants if in a ‘normal’ sized room.
With an auto-mode built in, this filter adjusts itself to the environment. Not only does this offer efficiency in terms of energy, but is also a better filtration system for it. This automatic adjustment is one of the biggest pluses- so often we forget about items such as air purifiers and thus maintenance and proper use fall by the wayside.
We recommend a particulate retention of 99.97%, that offered by the top HEPA filtration systems, and that is exactly what you find in this product.
- Effective coverage
- Automatic adjustments
- Carbon pre-filter controls odor
- Specific filter required for replacement
- Relatively expensive
List of Other Products We Tested
Honeywell HHT-011 HEPA Clean Compact Air Purifier, 85 sq. ft.>>>11 Positive Features as seen on our research report
Honeywell 17000-S QuietCare True HEPA Air Purifier, 200 sq. ft.>>>9 Positive Features as seen on our research report
Whirlpool Whispure Air Purifier, HEPA Air Cleaner, AP51030K>>>12 Positive Features as seen on our research report
Honeywell HFD-010 QuietClean Compact Tower Air Purifier>>>6 Positive Features as seen on our research report
GermGuardian AC4100 3-in-1 Air Cleaning System with HEPA Filter>>>10 Positive Features as seen on our research report
What Else Should You Think About to Find the Best HEPA Air Purifier?
Every air purifier has specific capabilities to handle different requirements. This is something to compliment your living space, which is perhaps the most important space in your life. So think carefully about the different aspects of your home which may affect pollutants and whether or not certain air purifiers are required. Think about the urgency and quality of purifier you require- are your allergies significantly reducing your quality time at home?
Then consider more functional aspects like the dimension of the home, presence of pets and other pollutant carrying organisms, and things like this. Aesthetically too, how big do you want your purifier to be. You probably see it as a necessity which should be neither seen nor heard. So think about how you are going to incorporate it into your home. We are on hand to answer question and our articles are sure to have valuable information on all these topics.
Wrapping it Up
We’ve extensively presented the best HEPA air purifiers based on a plethora of information. We know filters, noise levels, air quality, sizing and performance better than anyone else, and understand that value for money is essential in any long term investment.
As mentioned above, this is a lifestyle choice, i.e. choosing to improve one’s lifestyle. There are also numerous benefits of air purifiers that you can avail for a better life. The air we breathe is something we often take for granted, but in a world of endless pollutants filling our everyday lives, any option to reduce this effect is greatly appreciated. This is why air purifiers have become commonplace and why their popularity continues to grow.
What we take most pride in with our reviews is knowing we have personally experienced and tested each product. We have gone through the same adjusting process you will go through, and as such can confidently recommend the product we feel suits each and every lifestyle.