What do you do when the humidity level in your house goes beyond your tolerance level? Do you take showers again and again? Or hang a wet towel on the windows to humidify your living place? Do you know homemade solutions can sometimes be harmful to you and your family? The allergen and particles flying in the air can damage your health as well as the internal weather drastically if you do not control your home’s humidity level.
However, any quality whole-house humidifier can solve your problem! But which one to choose among so many options out there? Well, we have reviewed top 10 humidifiers for you to keep your living place healthy and clean. Here they go!
- 1. HONEYWELL HCM-6009 COOL MOISTURE CONSOLE HUMIDIFIER
- 2. AIRCARE EP9 800 DIGITAL WHOLE-HOUSE PEDESTAL-STYLE EVAPORATIVE HUMIDIFIER
- 3. APRILAIRE 700 AUTOMATIC HUMIDIFIER
- 4. APRILAIRE 500 HUMIDIFIER, 24V WHOLE HOUSE HUMIDIFIER
- 5. HONEYWELL GERM FREE COOL MIST HUMIDIFIER, HCM-350
- 6. AIRCARE MA1201 WHOLE-HOUSE CONSOLE-STYLE EVAPORATIVE HUMIDIFIER
- 7. AIRCARE H12-400HB 3-SPEED WHOLE-HOUSE CONSOLE-STYLE EVAPORATIVE HUMIDIFIER
- 8. AIRCARE MA0800 DIGITAL WHOLE-HOUSE CONSOLE-STYLE EVAPORATIVE HUMIDIFIER
- 9. APRILAIRE 600 HUMIDIFIER AUTO
- 10. TAOTRONICS ULTRASONIC HUMIDIFIER COOL MIST
I first came across the term “console humidifiers” while looking around for a new humidifier to replace the old one. I used my old humidifier for about two and a half years before it completely broke down. Since most of the whole-home humidifiers I bought in the past were portable, I decided to choose this one for a change. Honeywell HCM-6009 moisture console humidifier looked pretty nice, so I went for this one.
Some of this great whole-home humidifier’s features include:
1. Quiet Technology
If you have a fan and a dehumidifier in your home, you surely know how much sound both of them create when they work at the same time. But Honeywell HCM-6009 cool moisture console humidifier is at least 30% quieter when compared to other similar humidifiers, with sound specs of 55db when in high speed.
2. Dual Tanks
It has dual tanks to make it easy for you to fill up the humidifier. You can also easily carry these tanks, as they are portable. The opening to where the tanks are located is wide enough to help you clean up the interior area.
3. Energy Efficient
This humidifier consumes less energy when compared to the 80 watt light bulb.
I’m really pleased with its performance. I even read some of its reviews online which mostly said that it is one of the best whole-home humidifiers to buy. I would recommend it to you due to the simple fact that it works pretty well for the whole house.
- Works effectively in humidifying the air.
- Don’t take high power to function
- Easy to operate.
- The tanks are not that portable as stated in the product overview. I found them to have sharp edges and get slippery when wet.
- There is no way of knowing when it is time to refill the tanks since it does not have an indicator to show you the water levels in the tank.
While shopping around for a humidifier, I came across the AirCare EP9 800 humidifier. What really made me stop and take a closer look at it was its unique design; it looked a London telephone booth! I had to look at all the pictures online to be certain of it and it surely looks like a London phone booth. Apart from this striking feature, the product also has the following features.
This is what I was talking about while mentioning the London phone booths. The humidifier comes in a pedestal-style housing, which makes it look like a tower inside your home. I believe that the black color can blend in well with other home decor details.
2. Digital Humidistat
This feature helps you maintain your desired humidity levels once set and has digital gauge to do it easily.
3. Read Out
It is visible at the front of the pedestal-style humidifier. It is digitally controlled, so you can see the actual humidity level in the room, the desired humidity levels as well as the speed of the fan.
4. Fan Speeds
This humidifier has 9 fan speeds to help you set the desired fan speed in order to humidify your room. Remember that the fan speed goes hand in hand with noise levels.
I tend to dislike products that I cannot return if they fail to work. Since some of its reviews show that this product can fail to work and the seller may refuse to have it returned, I will advise you to take a good look at the warranty. However, it does work pretty well for my house and after using it for a few months without any problem, I would definitely recommend you to give it a try.
- This humidifier works pretty well for large rooms. It maintains the humidity levels of a room within a short period of time.
- It is very easy to use because it has a control panel at the front with digital display and buttons.
- It is also easy to fill up. You just have to carry a jug of water, open its side and fill the water tank.
- It gets pretty noisy while using it with high speeds, though this will largely depend on the size of your room or home.
- It does not have a return policy, so you cannot return it after purchase in case there is an issue.
While looking for a portable humidifier for my home, I came across the Aprilaire model 700 automatic humidifier. From the look of it, I could guess that this one can be installed on the wall. This product has some other great features to offer which are mentioned below:
1. Outside Temperature Sensor
This is actually not a part of the product, but is included with the product. This outside sensor works by sensing the temperatures outside to have the ideal temperature inside, thus you will be able to easily set the humidistat. What’s even better is that it has digital control to set the humidistat automatically.
The design seems quite small, but it is termed as good for use in tightly constructed homes. It means homes that do not have any open plan for rooms.
This model can operate on a range of water sources, including soft, hard, hot or cold water.
I really loved this product when I first saw it on the Internet. I thought it would be a great buy, but I made a mistake while installing it and broke the solenoid valve. Finally, I had to buy the valve on my own. Would I recommend you to use this product? Given my experience, I suggest you to thoroughly go through the warranty and read what other reviews have to say about this product before buying it.
- Installation of the humidifier is not as hard as I thought it would be, though it took some time.
- The automatic adjust feature works perfectly, saving you the time and energy of manually setting up the humidifier once every few days.
- Despite its small size, it works pretty well for the whole home.
- Its solenoid valve seems to be poorly constructed.
- Only licensed contractors are allowed to install the unit; otherwise, your warranty will be void if you install it yourself.
I love Aprilaire humidifiers for their ability to connect to both the heating and cooling systems in my house. After buying a smaller humidifier for my living room, I decided to try out a more powerful one that will suit the whole house. That’s how I landed on this 500 24V whole-house humidifier at Amazon.
This whole-house humidifier has some of the following key features to offer:
1. Built-in By-pass damper
This is for those who love having fewer parts to assemble. This built-in damper removes the need to install all parts of the humidifier.
2. Automatic Control
Its automatic control feature relieves you from the necessity to constantly changing the humidity levels you desire. I think it works with the sensor, which senses temperatures on the outside and then communicates with the humidistat to set the desired humidity levels for the indoor.
3. Quiet Performance
The unit is touted to perform quietly, eliminating the distraction created by the spinning fans of most humidifiers. It is suitable for use for the whole home, as it supports about 3000 square feet area.
So, do I recommend this humidifier to you? Well, I really have nothing to complain about this product. I would definitely recommend you to give it a try. If you check online for the best humidifier reviews, you will see that this unit boasts about a 60% success rate.
- It works pretty well in almost all rooms. The attic is a bit challenging, but it still works pretty well there.
- It is relatively noiseless. I’m glad I don’t have to wake up while sleeping due to the noise of a spinning fan.
- It has too many wires.
- You need a HVAC approved professional to install the unit. Otherwise, if you are a DIY fan and the unit has some problems after the installation, you will receive no help from the warranty. The warranty is termed as null and void if you install the humidifier yourself.
What drew me to this humidifier is its name. It defined exactly what I was looking for while browsing for humidifiers online. As the name suggests, this Honeywell humidifier is a cool mist type and also germ-free. Germ-free means that it removes germs from the air, as it humidifies it. It has some other features as well which are stated below.
I absolutely love its design. By looking at other humidifiers that Honeywell brings, I could tell that they have a penchant for great humidifier designs. You will also see that it is a small humidifier, but very elegantly made.
The humidifier is made of plastic which is dishwasher safe.
It not only humidifies the air, but also kills 99% of fungus, mold, viruses and bacteria in the air. It also has a self-regulating evaporation system which can automatically adjust the humidity output to the amount the indoor air can hold.
Its wicker filter also removes the impurities present in the water, thus no germs are again spread to the air.
After using the humidifier for a couple of months, I can say that it surely has some reasons for being included as the best whole-house humidifier in this list. It does work pretty well and the parts are just amazing to me. I would recommend that you should give this humidifier a try. Most of the ratings available online are positive, meaning that the humidifier is doing a great job in keeping the air moist. Considering the bulkiness of the humidifier, I don’t think this should be a problem because people always have different preferences about the size.
- Very quiet.
- Easy to install and use.
- The water tanks are large, requiring no refilling for about two days.
- Little bit bulky.
- It does not work pretty well with well water and mostly effective with distilled water.
I’m a great fan of console humidifiers. Why? Because of the wide area coverage you can humidify in one go. Essick Air provides great humidifiers and this model always appears in the best whole-house humidifiers’ reviews. Its design is quite elegant, but it also has some other features worth noting.
1. Console Style
In case you didn’t know it, console style means that it has wheels to help you move the humidifier from one room to another.
This humidifier has a digital humidistat that works automatically. So, it can detect and set the desired humidity levels on its own.
3. Ease of Use
The humidifier features easy-to-clean parts that you can easily re-assemble once you are done with the cleaning task. Its control panel is also simply designed, making it very easy to operate.
The unit automatically shuts itself off when the desired humidity levels are reached and when the tank is empty and needs refilling.
These features really impressed me to the point of buying the humidifier for my house. This humidifier works well in homes of about 3600 square feet and my home is just about 2500 square feet.
Although I love console humidifiers, I must say that this one is a bit disappointing to use because it creates a lot of noise. Most of the reviews online are positive, but you should take note of the negative sides to make an informed buying decision. So I would only recommend you to buy it if you find the negative sides of it a bit considerable.
- It works pretty well in humidifying rooms.
- The unit is built in such a way that it is easy to refill.
- Its built-in humidistat is perfect for automatic operations.
- Its controls make it easy to use.
- This is not a quiet humidifier. If noise disturbs you, you may have to look for an alternative to this one.
- The wickers need constant replacement, which makes the unit expensive to use in the long run.
This whole-house humidifier is great because it features no duct which is common with many other humidifiers. I decided to go for this one to replace my old humidifier which ran out of service after working for almost nine years. What made me like this humidifier is its color. It looks like the outer part is made of wood. This naturally blends in with my home decor, as my home has mostly wooden furniture. Some other great features of this humidifier are:
This humidifier features both analog and digital controls. You have to use the analogue controls to set the humidity levels that you wish to attain. And the digital controls are there to display the readings of the humidity levels.
Well this shouldn’t be a surprise considering that it is a console style model. The catch is that it’s roller casters come with a 1-year warranty. However, this warranty is limited. You may thus not find it if you wait for too long.
3. Evaporative Wick
This wick is included in the unit. It removes minerals and provides clean moisture to your home’s air.
Since I have dealt with a console humidifier before, I can say that most of these features are actually common with other console humidifiers. If you compare one with another, you will see that they have some striking similarities with their features. However, what sets them apart comes down to how well they work as well as how easy they are to install, clean and maintain.
The design of the product as well as its operation is surely satisfactory. Checking out some of the best whole-home humidifier reviews online will tell you a lot about this product, both the pros and cons of it. I would definitely recommend that you give it a try.
- This unit is amazingly quiet.
- It works absolutely well for my whole house.
- The water bottle used is easy to remove and refill.
- The unit requires frequent refills, so the water bottle is too small for this purpose.
- You need to carefully check that the water bottle is placed correctly while filling it; otherwise, it would leak.
I came across this humidifier while going through some of the best rated whole-home humidifiers out there on the web. Finding out which are the top humidifiers isn’t that hard because their reviews are available online. These reviews are provided by those who have already used them. Its design is very similar to the AIRCARE MA1201 and it differs just a bit in functionality. Here are the most notable features of this humidifier.
1. Digitized Controls
Unlike the AIRCARE MA1201 that only has automation in its shutoff functionality, this humidifier features digital controls as well as a humidistat. I believe the digital controls work together with the humidistat since a humidistat works automatically to regulate the room temperature.
This humidifier has indicators that help you know when you need change the filters and when you need to refill the water tank.
3. Speed Motor
The product comes with a 3-speed motor that allows you to set the fan speeds. It also has a night-time setting to keep it quiet.
4. Automatic Shut-off
This unit has an automatic shut-off feature that works when the tank is empty and when the desired humidity levels are reached in your home.
This humidifier is definitely good enough to bring smile on your face and i have found many positive reviews of it while browsing the web. However, you have to spend a lot on replacing the filters once every few weeks which may be expensive for you. I would not recommend that you buy this humidifier if cost of maintenance is of high priority to you.
- The fan is quiet.
- It works very well in humidifying any room.
- Eye-catching design.
- The filter is made of some light materials. It soaks up pretty fast,making it necessary to change it frequently.
- The unit is not easy to clean. The water tank cannot be opened for cleaning, so you can imagine the amount of grime that will be there if I don’t find a way to clean it up pretty soon.
Being very similar to the Aprilaire model 500 humidifier in design, this whole-home humidifier has some features that make it unique and more powerful than its predecessor. I came across this unit while going through some of the large bypass humidifiers the company had in stock. I bet it is an improved version of the small bypass model 500. Here are its key features:
This model has a pre-programmed permanent memory that does not lose data when the power goes off. Thus, you will not have to worry about restarting your humidifier or re-set the previous settings when the power comes back. So the time, date and set programs will not be lost once the power is back.
2. Copy Function
This function allows you to quickly copy a certain setting that you have saved and program the humidifier with that setting. It also has a seven-day programming capability to help you program the humidifier on each day of the week.
3. Programmable Fan
This programmable fan works well with this whole-home air cleaner from Aprilaire. It delivers much better indoor air than usual.
Well, it would be hard for me to not recommend this product, given that it works pretty well for my whole home. Most of the reviews I’ve seen online are great, and this product can be considered as one of the best whole-house humidifiers.
- The outdoor temperature sensor helps you set the right humidity levels in your home. I just read on the web that too much humidity can cause mold to grow in your home. So the temperatures in the home should be adjusted according to the temperatures outdoor.
- This outdoor sensor works together with the humidifier, thus removing the need for you to keep setting the desired humidity levels every once in a while.
- It requires very little maintenance and replacing most of its parts is cheap.
- You will require a drain to drain out the excess water. This is undesirable because a lot of water may be wasted through this process.
- If you don’t have the drain, the water will likely be leaked out of the unit.
- It is expensive when compared to other humidifiers.
If you like jerry cans, you will surely like the design of Taotronics ultrasonic cool mist humidifier. This humidifier has been designed with the jerry can style with more elegance. It features a white and blue outer. The blue part clearly shows the inside of the humidifier. This humidifier is considered to be one of the best whole-home humidifiers in the cool mist category. Here are the features that help it stand out among the rest.
With this humidifier, you can control the amount of mist launched into the air. Thus, you can set it to low, medium or high as per your preference. Plus, there is a nozzle to help you aim the mist at whichever direction you want.
1. LED Display
Its LED display shows the modes the humidifier is operating in, as well as the current humidity levels.
Here, durability is not about how long the humidifier will last, but about how long it will take to empty its water tank. Due to its jerry can style, it can hold up to 4 liters of water.
3. Quiet Operation
This humidifier comes with a switch to regulate the sleep mode feature. Thus, you can turn it on at night without worrying about noise.
4. Automatic Shut-off
The unit automatically shuts itself off when the water levels run low.
You can set for how long you wish to run the humidifier, from one hour to even 24 hours.
I bought this humidifier after seeing that it had many positive ratings and reviews. And it turned out that they were right! This humidifier is perfect for regular use even in homes with children. I absolutely love the mist direction control as well as its quiet operation. I would definitely recommend you to use this humidifier not because it has so many positive ratings, but because of its unique advantages that most other humidifiers cannot offer.
- The mist produced is fine and cool.
- Highly portable due to its small size and light weight.
- It works pretty quietly. This is especially great if you suffer from sinuses and need a good night’s sleep without worrying about noise coming from the humidifier.
- Greater control provided by its different modes.
- The LED display also works perfectly fine and display the settings you have made.
- This unit does not have filters.